Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Sewing with Shoulder Pads





I've been making a tailored jacket out of a royal blue linen/rayon blend. I thought I'd share my technique for adding shoulder pads. Now just because this is not the 1980's, doesn't mean that a taylored jacket or blazer doesn't need shoulder pads, albeit much thinner ones. I sew them into the shoulder seams. I don't know when or where I learned to do this (probably in the '80s), but I've been sewing in my shoulder pads this way ever since I began making structured jackets. In the first photo, the needle is coming up through the seam. Then take it back down again as in the next photo. The stitches on the outside of the jacket need to be very tiny. I usually only catch one or two of the seam threads. On the under side of the jacket, where the pads are, I usually make the stitch about a scant 1/4 of an inch.

That's all there is too it.





No comments:

Post a Comment